Thursday, January 15, 2009

50 SECRETS...

Of the World's longest living people...(Sally Beare)

I checked this book out at the library a couple weeks ago. I thought it sounded interesting...and it is SO interesting! I love it! I love learning about health and nutrition and this book has expounded my knowledge so much...my husband and I have had several conversations about food and lifestyle lately b/c of it. So, because of this book I have decided to learn more about preparing raw meals for my family (they have raw food preparation demos at Whole Foods) and we've also decided to become 'semi-vegetarians'. We already don't eat much meat and when we do it's usually turkey, but I think that we'll start only having meat in our meals 1-2 times per week. I'll replace the meat with beans or legumes which is great b/c it's a healthier version of protein but also so much cheaper!

Anyway, this book doesn't spend the whole time convincing you not to eat meat or to go totally raw...it just discusses five cultures in our world where the people typically live to be over 100 and then discusses 50 "secrets" or healthy habits that these people live by. She continually talks about eating things (like meat) in moderation and motivates you by explaining why certain things are so important. I've enjoyed it thoroughly b/c some of the secrets you're probably already familiar with but it goes in depth about the biology of our bodies (a topic I find fascinating!) and why we need certain nutrients, food, antioxidants, etc. Who doesn't want to live a longer, healthier, happier life?

Anyway, I highly recommend this book! It's very informational and motivational! If you do read it you'll have to let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Maria said...

Does she talk about quinoa? I'm sure she does. It's great stuff! I think you'll like it!

Sarah Rockwood said...

Curtis is always trying to get me to cut back on our meat. I guess it's in the word of wisdom too, but anyway i never knew what to replace it with. I will have to check it out. After you go to the classes you should totally do a midweek activity teaching that, not that you don't have enough on you schedule!:)