Sunday, November 4, 2007

Our weekend with Tom's parents...and little brother Mike

Last weekend Tom's mom and dad and brother came from Utah to visit. We had a lot of fun with them. They got here on Friday evening and we had pizza and visited and then on Saturday we drove to Manitou Springs for the annual Emma Crawford Coffin race. It was really amusing! There were several different teams of people all dressed up, usually in a theme like the "fat Elvi", the beverly hillbillies (who won 1st), Gilligan's island, etc., etc. They also created a coffin to match their theme and then two by two raced down the main strip in Monitou Springs pushing their coffin. We think it would be fun to enter next year. Maybe we could make a boy scout themed coffin....Tom's only concern is that some of the guys he works with may not be able to run more then 10 yards... :-) We spent a little while walking around downtown Monitou Springs looking at some of the fun shops and art galleries and then drove to Garden of the Gods (it's right next door from where we were) and went on a little hike. Then that night we went to our church's halloween party (a chili cookoff and trunk or treat) which was a lot of fun. Taylor dressed up as a pink teddy bear. After that we watched a nancy drew movie from the 1930's that Tom and I think is really funny.

On Sunday after church we all went to the dog park with Maddie and then took his parents by Tom's work place so they could see where he worked. Monday, all of us except Tom who had to work did a little book and Christmas shopping and then that evening we played some games and hung out. And then his parents left early Tuesday morning. It was so nice for them to come and see us and we really enjoyed the time together. Here are some pictures that we took on Saturday.

Taylor and Grandma This was right before the race begun. In this picture you can see two of the coffins. There had to be someone riding in the coffin...it was usually a small, light female and they all had to wear helmets.
This team was pretty funny, especially the guy with the white headband and huge mustache. He was acting the part of a gym buff from the seventies really well. I wish you could've seen him.
Taylor loves to walk this way with Tom and I.
Taylor with her dad and Grandpa. She was having lots of fun getting swung.



3 comments:

kristin said...

Looks like fun! I love all the pictures you post - Taylor is so big - I can't believe she is walking and being so grown up!

Glad you guys are doing well. I would love to see you when you are up for Thanksgiving - we are leaving town on Wednesday, but we'll be here before that. Hope we can work something out. :)

Jensen Family said...

I am glad Tom's parent go to come and spend some time with your family! It sounds like you guys had a really good time! I am still confused how they ever came up with coffin races...very funny!

Unknown said...

The coffin race cracks me up! I wish I would have lived there during Halloween...maybe it wouldn't have gone over too well with the Mission Pres though. I get jealous hearing about you going to Garden of the Gods. It makes me miss my pros time. BTW, I DID get your email. I'm lazy and haven't responded yet. We evacuated with the San Diego fires and then we all got the stomach flu. I'll respond soon.