Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Butterflies and Bugs...

This last Saturday we went to the Butterfly Pavilian in Denver. They were having their "Insectival!", which basically meant a bigger crowd. It was a pretty neat place though. There is a part of it where you walk through this beautiful greenhouse basically and there are (I think they said 1200) species of butterflies flying all around you. There was also other bugs and an underwater part. Anyway, here are some pics from our weekend:
the fam...as you can see Taylor is beyond thrilled about posing for this picture!
okay, these are walking sticks....my all time favorite bug!!! I mean it too. I've been telling Tom about them since we've been together and it was his first time to see them. When I was a kid I found great joy in finding a big rock and turning it over so I could look at and play with the bugs underneath. And, I LOVED playing with walking sticks! I don't think you can find them in Utah (where Tom grew up) but I found them a lot in Georgia and in Missouri. They're so big and they look just like sticks! Isn't that cool? Or have I just clarified myself as a weird-o? I HATE bugs in my home and outside biting me (or anyone else), but other than that I still think they're pretty cool!
I thought it was pretty neat that we all got to hold "Rosie- the Tarantula". Our kids thought it was neat too (even Max).

I think Max thought Amanda was neat!
We also went swimming at the healthclub I work at. It was our first time to go swimming this summer. Last summer, Taylor and I went quite a bit, but I haven't managed to gain the know how or the guts to take both kids by myself so this was our first.
the cute kiddos and me...and my lovely farmers tan!

Taylor and Tom had fun swimming around...
Awe...

3 comments:

EmWJ said...

Stace needs to see those spider pictures...

And wow about the walking sticks. Those look amazing!

Christensen Family said...

I hate spiders!! Yuck. I can't believe you held it and let your kids hold it. :) Your kids probably won't be afraid of them like my kids are because I freak out if I see one.

MJ said...

Oh, I freak out if I see a spider too! Especially in our house...actually Tom and I both freak out. This was a 'controlled' environment and I thought it would be neat getting to see what is was like...and it was!