Tuesday, March 17, 2009

the birthday cake...

I was looking on my friend Callie's blog and saw a great post about her cute son's birthday and saw this awesome cake...my first thought was 'I wonder where she bought it?'. But, if you read her post, you learn that it was her first attempt at decorating a cake with fondant...I was so impressed and she got me excited to learn how to do it myself because I think it's SO cool looking! So, yesterday morning I went to my private lesson with the great "fondant tutor" Callie and she helped me make Max's cake! It was so fun! and it's easy! time consuming, but easy! Max wasn't very happy there though, so we had to pack everything up and head home and while the kids napped, I got to play and decorate Max's cake...I'm now so excited to go and get my own pans and 'cookie cutter' thingies now that I know how to do this. Thanks Callie for sharing your talents with me! It's so great to have such talented, generous friends! and thanks for letting me borrow your pans and supplies! I couldn't bring myself to tasting the fondant while I was decorating the cake...I sort of got myself sick of frosting from Taylor's bday last year. But, I finally had a peice last night and it was really tasty! If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share with you how to do it! It's simple and SO fun!

party favors: bowties and bubbles (Alyssa-I forgot to give them to you until about 2 min. after you left...so I'll get it to you soon!)







don't look too closely! ;-) there's lots of flaws! I was sort of trying to make it look Dr. Suess-ish though, so some of the flaws are okay!

5 comments:

Callie said...

Yay! Max is sooo cute eating that cake! He looks like such a happy little man. I love the cake!!! You did an awesome job on it! I really love those colors together - super cute! You are too kind Mel, I feel like you are a much better student than I am a teacher! I am glad you had a fun party, I love the little bow-ties!! Thanks again for the "family" blocks - they are sitting on my kitchen window sill, so every time I do the dishes I think of YOU! :) Happy Birthday today Max!!

Suzanne said...

Mel! How awesome! Max's cake and party are SO great! What a fun, creative mother you are! The games sound so fun, perfect for a 1 year old's party!

I've always wanted to learn fondant, but never had a teacher. Next time we have a few hours together, we'll have to make cake! You did a great job!

Happy Birthday to Max!

Coty said...

Happy Birthday Max!!!

Just look at that fab cake, Mel!!! Good job!
Rhoane turns one in April, and now you've got me all excited about it!

Christensen Family said...

Fun Birthday! Such a cute cake! I wish I was as creative.

Julie said...

How Fun! YOu did such a good job. It was so good to see you while you were in town. YOu look amazing and your children are beautiful.