Sunday, May 31, 2009

week in review...

The last week of May was a busy and fabulous week! First of all, it was great to have a 3 day weekend and get more time with Tom. On Memorial Day, we woke early, early and drove to Boulder for the 'Bolder Boulder' an annual 10k which claims to be the 2nd largest road race either in U.S. or the world...it was pretty stinkin' large! They said there were over 54,000 people registered to run it this year. I was the only one to run this race because it's pretty expensive (43 bucks if you register early-50 if you don't and 58 if you register raceday). I actually got to do it for free because a bank was offering a promotion where if you open a free checking account and keep it open for 6 months they'd give you a free entrance to this race. When I went to the bank to do that, they said no one else had taken them up on the promotion yet. Seemed like a good deal to me! Anyway, we got to the race, it was SO full of people! I spent the whole 6.2 miles zig-zagging and dodging around walkers, thousands of walkers! It was so fun though, because they had about a dozen live bands playing alongside the course and people out in their lawns. Some people were handing out marshmallows, Doritos, even beer to the runners...well, it was probably the walkers who were taking that stuff. It was a crazy, but very memorable race. It was also the very first time I've ran that far of a distance (I didn't do so great at training), but I was happy to still be alive and breathing when the race was over!

After the race, we went out to eat, and something bad, very bad happened! We got food poisoning! Only Tom, Max and I ate the same things and the 3 of us all had the same, miserable symptoms...thankfully, Max didn't have much so it didn't hit him too bad. But, by Tuesday morning I was so weak I could barely walk to the kitchen and back to our bed without passing out. The nice thing about food poisoning though, is that it's pretty short lived, so we were able to get back to better shape quickly. It was also nice that Tom got to stay home because he was sick too, and little Miss Taylor (who didn't eat any of the food we ate and was perfectly fine) nursed us back to good health. She was so funny, getting us crackers and giving us kisses! ;-)

I can't remember much of Wednesday or Thursday except that I spent a lot of those days getting ready for my bootcamp. I am putting on a bootcamp right now, that started on Monday and goes for 2 weeks and then I'm doing another session for the following two weeks. So, I ran lots of errands, made lots of phone calls and gathered fun gifts for prizes for the last day. I'll probably talk more about my bootcamp later...it's been a great experience so far! I'm really loving it! Hopefully, the ladies attending it are too!

On Friday, Tom and I got up early and drove to Buena Vista, Colorado to go rafting with his work....it was SO much fun! I loved it and hope to go again this summer! It was also just fun getting to spend the whole day with Tom (and without our typical double date...no offense Taylor and Max! ;-) But, alone time is always SO wonderful! I loved being with his coworkers too while rafting and having lunch. He works with some very fun folks!

Saturday, I spent most of the day getting ready for bootcamp again. Then Saturday night and Sunday, we had stake conference for our church. It was a great week!

Pictures from Memorial Day 2009 at the Bolder Boulder:


my little cheerleaders...

before the race...


this was what Tom and I called "the holding pen" where you waited for your heat to start. They had a heat leaving every 2 minutes!


A picture of the starting line...

me doing my typical wave at my kids wave...the guy behind me looks like he'd much rather be in front of me at the moment!

after the race...this was the University of Colorado campus where the race finished. It actually finished in the big stadium there...you ran into the stadium (this is just outside of it) and then ran around the track there and were done. The stadium was FULL of people! It was pretty neat!

family pic...Boulder was a very beautiful town!after the race...taking a nice rest while the kids played.


2 comments:

Christensen Family said...

Way to go Mel! That is so awesome. I am starting to get in better shape. I can't believe how crowded that was either. I'm sorry that you guys got food poisoning. Scary! So cute that Taylor nursed you back to health!

Coty said...

Bootcamp! 10K! -Work it girl!
You and your peachy family are so adorable. I love that you guys are such a "get up and go" family...that's the way to be!

Glad you enjoyed all your excursions.