Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In loving memory-

Madison-Padison Jensen, March 11, 2004-May 3, 2009








I'm very sad to say that our dear friend Maddie is no longer with us. I've been putting off this post because I knew all the sadness and heart ache I've been feeling would bear itself down on me even more...but I also feel like that hyper, rascally, wonderful dog deserves a tribute.

We got Maddie 5 years ago this month when she was just 8 weeks old. I remember riding to my in laws with her in the back seat (Tom was driving) and we were deciding on her name. Maddie is short for Madison. I was so excited to cuddle with her....but, I think that only happened a couple times when she was napping because she was such a rambunctious puppy! The first night we had her at home, we did not sleep too well. We thought we'd keep her in the backyard--what were we thinking?! She escaped through the fence and ran around to the front of the house and peered down at me while I was in our bedroom folding laundry until I had the feeling I was being watched; I looked up and saw her and then ran to the front door and she ran up to me and jumped into my arms...so that first night, and I don't remember how many more after that, she slept in a box beside our bed.

For the last few years, since we've been living in an apartment, she's become and inside dog and has slept on her bed either beside our bed or at the foot of our bed....she's always been there. When Tom worked overnight shifts living in Logan, she slept up on the foot of the bed with me. She was such a comfort...and such a constant friend.

Maddie was also a mom. We bred her with Toby, the standard poodle and about 2 months later (when I was first pregnant with Taylor) she gave birth to 5 darling, little labradoodles. She had the puppies when we weren't home and she greeted us at the door and led us right to her puppies...it was like she was so excited to show us her babies. It was really amazing to see the maternal instinct come out in her and she was such a great mom. That experience of breeding and raising puppies was a blessing for all of us....A few months after finding good homes for all of the puppies, I gave birth to our first baby,Taylor, and sweet Maddie became the most amazing "nanny" and best friend, Taylor could ever have asked for. I always felt like a second set of eyes was looking after my kids with Maddie there. I think Maddie really loved the kids too. I think she especially loved cleaning up after them after meals and getting fed snack after snack by those tiny hands. She was our gentle giant...

On Friday, April 24th we left our home to travel to my parents' home in Arkansas. We brought Maddie along with us. This last Saturday, May 2, we loaded our vehicle back up to come home. Tom got Maddie in the back of our van on her bed and as we were starting to say goodbye to our family, she went into a seizure. It only lasted a few minutes but then she became very aggressive, barking continually and keeping a clear distance from us. After about 10 minutes she became her tail-wagging self again, but e decided to leave her with my parents for a while (they were going to talk to a vet) because we didn't think it'd be smart to have her in the car so close to the kids just in case. We left her in their backyard, headed home and after a couple hours called to check in on Maddie and she had had two more seizures. She kept having them and her behaviors got very strange, running into the fence and pacing constantly. She kept having seizures through the night and on Sunday, May 3, my parents took her into an emergency vet clinic. Over the phone, that evening they told us they were afraid she had suffered brain damage and that she was not doing well at all. They put her to sleep...

I've been feeling so out of sorts the last few days. I know for some, it's hard to understand how someone could feel so sad about losing their dog...but, for us, Maddie has been a part of our family longer than our kids...she's always been there and has always loved us. I miss her so much...I hate coming home and expecting her to be on the other side of the door to greet me, but now she's not there. I miss watching her cuddle with our kids (she finally did become a great cuddler!). She was so easy to please and such a loyal friend. Someday, when the times right, we'll get another dog...but, our memories will never fade of our first grand yellow Labrador and most wonderful Maddie...

13 comments:

EmWJ said...

Both Rob and I send our condolences. So sorry!

Marion Jensen said...

I'm so sorry. :(

The Farrers said...

Dearest Jensens, we are so sorry for your loss. Wally was our first baby too, so we sincerely understand that this pain is comparable to losing a child. Our hearts are with you.

Dirk and Trish said...

I'm so sorry! It's so hard to lose a buddy. I'm sure the past few days have been hard for you all. I'm here if/when you want to talk. I'm glad you were able to take her with you and have fun together the past couple weeks.

Suzanne said...

Ah, Mel, that's so sad. What an awful, heartbreaking thing to go through. She really was part of your family and you took such good care of her. She was a lucky dog.

What a sad way to have her go. I'm glad your parents could help you out with her, but sad you weren't with her at the end.

I'm sorry.

Coty said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Mel. Dogs make some of the best friends, with the most loyal, sweet little souls.
It's a wonderful experience to get to love an animal and have them be a special part of your family and life.
Of course she won't be forgotten and in time you will be able to look back and smile at your precious memories with her.
Chin up.

Callie said...

Oh Mel! I had tears in my eyes reading this because I can so relate to the sadness! When we lost our family cat Casper last summer, I was actually surprised at how it effected us as a family. We had him for 10 years, and it was so strange to have him gone. We were very, very down for a while. They really do become such a part of your family, and you almost don't realize how much so until they are gone! Your family did the right thing though. I am glad at least that it happened before your trip home...it probably would have been much more traumatic to have it happen in the car in the middle of nowhere. I am so sorry for your loss, but as with all things time heals! It was a sweet tribute....call me and bring Taylor over to see the new kittens, they will bring a smile to your face, I promise!! :)

Heidi said...

I am so sorry, Mel! She was so blessed to have had such a wonderful, loving, full life with you! We have experienced many sad pet losses...it's always sad to remember, but the pain does become less intense. I love the way you guys loved her!

Megan Sorenson said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, It's like Marley and Me. Have you seen that movie? I do feel for you and I am so sorry for your loss. What a heartbreak.

Jarad said...

I am so sad. Maddie will always have a special place in our hearts too! My kids are going to be so sad! I am now dreading telling them. We are seeing our Bob slow down and I know that we will be so devestated when it's his time.

ablincoln said...

Oh Mel, my heart aches for you! I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your sweet friend long before you were ready to (although you're never ready). I remember losing family pets as I grew up and it was soo hard. At least you have 2 gorgeous precious children to help put that smile back on your face.

Jensen Family said...

I know that Maddie was truly a part of your family and I am sorry that you are having to go through this right now. I don't want to get into it, but our family has also had it share of hardship over this past week, so my heart goes out to you! I love you! I will call you, but I wanted to say thank you for the cute birthday gift for the boys! You are always so thoughtful and such a great friend!

Christensen Family said...

I am so sorry about your dog. That is so sad. I know how it is to get so attached to a dog and how hard it is to loose them. Sorry again for your loss!