Friday, June 6, 2008

I'm GOING to do it! Care to Join me?

(the chocolate cake that did me in...)
(the chocolate cake producing culprits ;-)

OKAY...so I decided to go off sugar (for the most part) after having Max. My mom was here for a while and she was great motivation...she always motivates me to be healthier (thanks Mom!). And, I was doing pretty good...I quit eating chocolate (except really dark chocolate) until my husband's birthday and he requested that his mom make him the "ultimate" 4 layer chocolate cake and told me I should eat some just b/c it was his birthday...well, unfortunately I gave in and I haven't been doing so good since.
SO, I need some new motivation and decided that I am going to publicly go off sugar (completely this time) for 21 days (it'll be a 21 day detox), blog about it and reward myself in the end...if I do it. AND, I would LOVE for ANYONE who wants to, to join me! I thought this way, we can motivate each other...so if you choose to join me here is how I thought we can do it....
1) announce on your blog that you are going to go on a 21 day detox
2) explain when you are starting it
3) list your own personal rules (everyone can personalize their own detox plan-but feel free to copy mine if you want)
4) invite anyone else to join you and in a post later list everyone who said they would
5) blog about how it's going (you can keep a food journal if you want) at least once every 3 days
6) list a great reward that you can give yourself if you accomplish the task--although if you accidentally slip-don't despair! Just keep at it! You can do it!
(feel free to copy and paste this list to your blog if you'd like)
NOW, I want to be clear that this is not a tool for drastic weightloss! It is for helping to curb those bad cravings, become more disciplined and become more healthy...I've struggled a lot with poor body image...as I'm sure a lot of you have. We live in a cruel world when it comes to media and body image. I'm trying hard to not focus on "comparing" and trying to have a "perfect" body, but rather to have a healthier body, to feel stronger and more energized and to feel more control over those stubborn sugar cravings.
One of my favorite quotes is "a mother who radiates self love and self acceptance literally vaccinates her daughter (child) from a poor self image" (it goes something like that-I heard it on Oprah long ago). So, this is something I've been working on a lot and I invite you to join me in it!
I LOVE learning about health and I it motivates me when I read about it so, in addition to setting this detox goal I am going to read one of my favorite books on health 'YOU: Staying Young' by Dr. Oz and another doctor (I can't remember his last name-sorry Dr.!). So, I invite you to read it or another book on health and post either here or on your blog about it when you can.
ALSO, I know some of you who read this don't have a blog...well, I'm not leaving you out of this invitation! You can either email me at tomandmeljensen(at)hotmail(dot)com and I'll add your name to my list and any comments you want me to post to my blog. Or you can always start your own blog (see that icon at the top of mine that says create blog? click there and it's so easy to make your own blog) if you want me to walk you through it email me your phone # and I'll call you and walk you through it.
Okay, so here I go:
I'm going to go on a 21 day detox starting Monday, June 9th, 2008!
(I'm giving myself a chance to stock up on healthy food and give you a chance to start with me then if you choose-you can always shop Monday!)
My personal rules for my detox plan are:
NO SUGAR! So, no chocolate, candy, sugary drinks, etc.
Eat 10 servings a day of fruits and vegtables, mostly fresh
Eat whole grains and whole foods, avoid refined carbs
No eating out...cook healthy meals at home
No beef, only lean poultry and dairy products
Exercise at least 20 minutes everyday except Sunday.
Get to sleep earlier and wake up earlier.
So, ANYONE and EVERYONE please join me!!! If you choose to do so, either add a comment here or send me an email (my email address is listed above) and I'll put up a post with a list of your names...if you read this after I posted the list I'll edit it and add your name then. Come on! It'll be great AND you'll be glad you did it!!!
My reward for completing this detox in 21 days will be a trip to the hair salon (it's badly needed! and I already have a gift card) and a new outfit!
One more thing, I am REALLY hoping to get some of you to join me with this...so as an incentive to you...if you commit to doing it with me and follow the steps and everything (if you don't have a blog-just email me at least) I'll do a "bloggy" giveaway and put your name in for a drawing to recieve a prize...I don't know what'll be but it'll be something special! :-)
OKAY, so I think that about covers it....PLEASE join me or at least help me stay motivated with some support! Thanks everybody and good luck with it!

5 comments:

Coty said...

Mel, I'm in!!! Fat Girls Unite!!!

Tammy Jensen said...

Hey Mel,

I'm in...the drawing pulled me in. I've been off sugar since January 15th, but I can recommit to the 5k on the 4th of July...(I can't have too many commitments because it's really pushing me) I'm so proud of you!!! Way to inspire so many around you!

Jensen Family said...

I will be rooting you on, but will do my own boot camp when I can actually exercise again...I am just not there yet! Can't wait to hear about how AWESOME you are doing!

Tawsha said...

Awesome!! I would LOVE to do this and this is the perfect excuse I have needed (still have a few lbs to drop after Shelby). =) I'll think about a start date and get back to you. Thanks!

Sarah Rockwood said...

I would love to, but I kinda need it more then ever now. Sad huh. When the baby comes I am all in though. I am so ready to be healthy. I am in need of this kind of thing. Your motivation and efforts are inspiring.